Friday, April 18, 2008

Are you listening?

Zachary: "Yes Mom, I'm listening and remembering everything you say to me. I just don't like to actually obey when it's not something I want to do."

Even as I'm typing this, I'm asking Zac if he heard what I said... it sure seems like he doesn't listen to me much these days, but I've come to realize over the last couple of weeks that he does at least pick up on some of the phrases we use with him. We keep noticing him saying things that he must have learned from hearing us say them to him hundreds of times. It's pretty funny hearing them coming from a two year old, though. So, watch out parents, your kids really do pick up on what you say! Here are some of the things I've noticed him saying lately:

Matt was playing in Zac's sandbox with him, and dumped the sand out of the dump truck they had just filled. Zac looked at him and said, "Why did you do that Daddy? Don't do it again!" (sound familiar?) :) Matt laughed and said that he must say that to him a little too often.

-When I was building towers with him using his blocks, I reached up to the tower and Zac said, "Don't mess it up Mommy!"

-"Don't crash it! No, leave it alone!"
-"Fine."
-"Be very careful!" "That's VERY hot!"
-"How 'bout right here? Perfect. That's perfect, Mommy!"
-"Hold on"
-"I show you...like that, okay?"
-"....right now!" (He'll tell me to do things 'right now!')
-"Two more minutes..." He tries to negotiate everything..."one more time," or "two more minutes"
-"Be right back. You stay here, okay? Stay right here."
-"Good job, Mom!"
- "Leave it alone!" "Don't touch it!"
-"What's wrong Mommy?"
-"No more!"
-"What's wrong?"
-"Oh my gosh!" or "Oh man!"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cutie! Zac and Parker would be great friends...they would just boss each other around all day saying what we say to them! I've thought lots of times that I need to be careful what Parker hears me say...they understand a lot more than we give them credit for!

natasha said...

cute. mike is the king of saying what i say and taking it all in. he likes talking like steve irwin the best.

Anonymous said...

I know that must drive you crazy, but it sounds so cute to me!! Emma still doesnt say "mommmy". She will even go "mmmmmmmmmdaddy" and smile really big. She knows I want her to say it, and just refuses. I am seriously worried about her teenage years.

Rachel said...

Wait till he's 5 and your language has loosened up around him. One day he'll say "Ugh, I'm so freaking pissed at you!"