Melbourne
(pronounced Melbun)
(pronounced Melbun)
Melbourne...the sounds, the sights, the buildings, the bustling sidewalks lined with cafes, restaurants, stores, and souvenir shops, the public transportation, the smells, the hustle and bustle of business and city life . . . it all reminded me a lot of NYC. Of course, it's a lot smaller of a city and the whole driving on the opposite side of the road, beautiful Australian accents, and occasional new "Australian word" thrown in the conversation helped me remember that I was indeed in a foreign country way across the world from home.
I absolutely loved it and had lots of fun exploring all that Melbourne has to offer.
Here are a few of the highlights (with tons of pictures, of course):
Top 10 Sights of the city
(in no particular order)
1. Queen Victoria Market

This awesome marketplace is just around the corner from where Rachel lives. I went there several times. The fresh produce precinct was my absolute favorite, but it was fun to walk around the other sections, too. They have a Deli Hall, a Meat Hall, a general merchandise/souvenir area, a food court, and much more.
The produce is all local and so fresh and yummy and cheap (the prices are per kilo, which is about 2 lbs)! Not to mention the fact that I've never seen such huge vegetables and fruits (especially celery) as I saw here. I would LOVE to have somewhere like this to buy all my produce!2. Downtown Melbourne
Inside they have lots of cool displays, a room full of all the latest game systems (Wii, etc). on big screens for people to play, a kids room, a media room, and of course, lots of books.
There are lots of pretty parks and grassy/garden areas throughout the city.3. Yarra River
Eating a delicious Australian ice cream bar--a Magnum bar--yum!I loved walking along the river, which was lined with restaurants and shops.
We ate lunch there one day and it was such a great atmosphere, sitting outside next to the river.
4. Royal Botanic Gardens
Gorgeous, quite, and relaxing ~ as I sat there I couldn't
help but wish we had somewhere like this in Vegas!
help but wish we had somewhere like this in Vegas!
I saw lots of black swans at several different places on my trip.
5. Collins Street

6. St. Patrick's Cathedral

The lighting inside was beautiful and yellowish from all the stained glass windows.


7. Flinders Street Station
a famous subway train station8. Eureka Skydeck
It's the highest observation deck in the southern hemisphere.

9. Melbourne Museum and Royal Exhibition Building
At the Melbourne Museum, they had lots of interesting artifacts, history of Melbourne, Aboriginal artwork/artifacts, and even a real rainforest to walk through.
The Royal Exhibition Building, where the Royal Exhibition was held in the 1880s.It's a beautiful building right next to the Melbourne Musuem!
10. Melbourne Aquarium
a few of the things we saw at the aquarium ~ the penguins were definitely a favorite!
4 comments:
Wow Elisha! It sounds (and looks!) like you guys had such an amazing trip! I'm totally jealous, I've always wanted to go to Australia too. You guys deserve a getaway! I'm loving all your pictures :)
Miss you!
Love love the pics from St. Patricks cathedral. You capture so many great shots, I am impressed!
SO AWESOME! Jeff and I are itching to go. My camera just looked at me and said, "Please, please take me there". I told it to be quiet, cameras shouldnt talk. I love your pictures of the market. So cool!
Amazing pics!! Who would of thought you would turn into such a great world traveler! You are so adventurous!
Post a Comment