Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Stingers

It was probably about a year ago that out of the blue one day Zac came up to me and said, "When I get bigger I want to be on a soccer team and I'll kick the ball and you will clap and say, 'Yay, Zac!" We hadn't really ever talked about it before, but somehow he got it in his head that he wanted to be on a soccer team. I was happy to hear it, because I have always looked forward to having kids play on sports teams. I have four younger brothers, so I spent my fair share of time watching their games and loved it!

The time has finally arrived that Zac's old enough to play soccer, and since they didn't have a coach, Matt volunteered to coach. It's been funny and interesting watching him try to coach 12 three-year-olds at practice and at their first two games. This past week, it seemed like more of them were actually focused and "getting it."

They've only had two games...I forgot the memory card for my camera at the first game, but it seemed that there were just as many parents on the field as players. These are some pictures of the game they played on Saturday. It was a little less chaotic.


My little Zac kicking the ball




He was really into it the first half of the game; the second half, not so much. :)


And the kids' FAVORITE part of the game...snacks and juice boxes afterwards.


11 comments:

Amy said...

This always cracks me up that they have teams for kids this young! It looks like Zac is loving it, and this will probably be only the beginning of many more years to come. :)

Hemingways said...

Looks like so much fun! I can't wait until Ryley is big enough to play. He already loves kicking balls. Though it looks like Zac is a pro.

Larsens said...

we just bought maddies cleats,shin guards and shorts today. She has been sleeping with her ball for 2 weeks now. We'll see what happens Sat. Zac looks like a natural!

.·:*¨¨*:·.Hep*Hep*Hooray said...

matt always tells me how his favorite part of soccer as a kid were the orange slices and stuff. he has told me that story at least once a year since we've been married :)

Ellie said...

Sounds like last Saturday was a little bit better than last, good to hear. Even though E isn't on the team, I really want to take her to watch the game, especially since 2 of her friends are on the team. We can be your volunteer cheerleaders...GO ZAC!

Anonymous said...

So CUTE!! I can't believe that he is old enough to be in organized sports! Crazy. Now you are offically a soccer mom! WOO HOO!

Kari said...

Cute! It's so fun to watch little kids running around a soccer ball. Way to go Matt for coaching!

Unknown said...

That is so cute! Im excited for that, too! Cute little grown up Zac!

Kaity said...

So cute. I looked into soccer for Charlie but he will not be old enough until next year. I am so sad. What a great dad Matt is!

Jill Lewis said...

How fun! Zac is such a cute guy. Soccer is great for little boys to get their energy out! The update on Kayden was really sweet. I can't believe he's almost 1 yr old!

Cris, Jon, Austin and Ethan said...

I had the best memories playing soccer, learned great life lessons too.